• International Insurance Blog

  • Saturday, March 17, 2018

Here's the scenario: You are a US citizen who will be residing abroad for a period of more than two years. You already have health insurance coverage in the USA. Since short term travel health insurance usually offers coverage for a period ranging from 5 days to 12 months only you will have to consider long term international insurance.

There are two broad types to choose from. One is medical insurance that covers you both overseas as well as in the USA and/or Canada. The other covers you only overseas i.e. not in USA and Canada. There is a considerable amount of difference in the premiums to make you think before picking one over the other.

If you already have domestic health insurance coverage either through your employer or from elsewhere, you might not need the USA coverage option, saving quite a lot in the premium amount.

Before making a choice, always read the fine print for things like how many visits will be covered, what is the deductible, what is the maximum policy limit, etc. Once all that is clear, only then make a decision.

Post a comment

Commenting is not available in this section entry.

« Intensive care in international insurance Trip cancelled or interrupted? Don’t worry! »

International Medical Insurance - Short Term
International Health Insurance - Long Term
Trip Cancellation Insurance


BBB Business Review